-

-

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

When you have a gratitude attitude...November 15th

It has been interesting, this whole "gratitude every day" gig. I have noticed that I have been looking for things that I am grateful for. I guess, unfortunately, I am not usually a very grateful or thankful person. Not to say that I am not grateful for anything, but I guess I am not constantly thinking about it. I say the few normal things everyday in my prayers, and then I move on and I don't think about it for the rest of the day. How could I have been so blind or reluctant to acknowledge what I have been given? Now, though, I find myself thinking all day about what I am grateful for. It is like a ripple effect. You start thinking of one thing and then you start thinking of more. Each thing makes you think of something else you are grateful for. It has been a wonderful experience thus far, and I truly feel blessed, and not only do I feel blessed, but I feel excited to find more things that create this awesome sense of gratitude in my heart. I know over the ages one may find many a quote referencing to the importance of a gracious spirit and thankful heart, and I am not the first person to discover it, nor will I be the last, but I am truly thankful to have unearthed it in myself. Today, I was trying to think of one thing I am grateful for, and I have just come to the conclusion that I am just Thankful in general today. I am truly blessed in every facet of my life. There is nothing that I want for in my life. I may feel greedy at times, and think that I deserve something or that I "need" something, but I don't. I have the Spirit, and knowledge of the Spirit. I have a loving family, which includes so many more than those who just live with me. I have friends. I have clothes and food and water and shelter! The list goes on and on and on. It is endless. I could write one thing down for the rest of my life and never lack for something new to be grateful for. In my heart, I feel so badly for not recognizing the things I have been given. I have a new ambition to keep these feelings and this new version of me, the thankful one, alive. I truly hope that I can. I also hope that I can teach my children to be thankful. It makes life seem a little more rose colored, and who couldn't use a little more of that in their life? In my humble opinion, I think everyone could use something that helps them see how truly good their life is. I am not just saying that gratitude makes you think that things are good when they aren't, I am saying that gratitude makes you see the things that are good and great even though, before applying it, things may have looked a bit grimmer. It helps us shed a negative outlook and put on a positive one. By sharing with one another what we are thankful for, we strengthen one another and help one another see the blessings we have. What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your sharing your grateful thoughts Brittani! This is a very eloquent essay you have here, and very heartfelt. You are right that we are so blessed, but it takes an effort for us to emphasize the good in our lives sometimes.

    ReplyDelete