-

-

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pouty Purples=Allergic to Milk? I think....

So, we have to back track quite a long ways to the beginning of this story... i.e. 9 months ago to be exact. Shiloh switches to formula. He, who is already extraordinarily spitty, becomes more so. The doctors keep telling me over and over again that it is acid reflux, which I believed. His spitting up doesn't get much better. Still to this day he still spits up and is almost 1.

Now fast forward to two weeks ago when all of this being a pouty purple nonsense comes into play. I start integrating small amounts of whole milk in with his formula. You know, just to kind of get a feel for if he likes, loves it, hates it. He hated it. He would gag whenever we tried it. We never forced it just kept giving it to him to try. I noticed some extra spittiness (I know it isn't a word) with the milk intro, but talked to a few friends who had already been through the process and said that they noticed the same thing and their kids were fine. Wasn't too worried.

Fast forward again to this past Saturday. Shiloh is almost transitioned completely over to whole milk and he looks to really like it. He would cry for it when he saw me take it out of the refrigerator. He starts puking. All. Day. Long. Nothing solid could pass his lips the whole day. He is screaming from tummy pain. We think it is the flu. By the next day, he was doing better. Still grumpy, but better. While he was sick I gave him watered down formula to conquer hunger pains. He is tolerant of that.

I had a feeling to slowly add the whole milk back in instead of skipping straight to the stage we were already at.

Fast forward to this morning. As of last night and this morning, Shiloh had only had about 2 oz. total of whole milk. He started gagging again and just puked and puked. Then it was like it was over. It was very reminiscent of the episode earlier and so I waited to see if he was going to puke all day. Nope. Kenny and I know that the only thing that changed from yesterday to today is that he had whole milk. I decided to go to the store and get soy formula and soy milk. The kid sucked them down, and then raised his cup and asked for more, which he never does. Then he ate, with no indigestion, and he wanted more, which rarely happens. The pouty purples you ask? Seemingly gone, at least so far for today, which is way longer than any amount of time in the past two weeks.

I just feel bad that I didn't know any sooner. I thought if he was allergic to cow's milk, I would have known somehow or been told, considering formula has cow's milk, and I asked pediatricians about his puking. ( I even asked if the puking could be related to an allergy and they said that it sounded more like acid reflux and ruled out an allergy). I still have to consult my doctor about all of this, but man am I glad to see the kid feeling better. He was trying to tell me all along, "Hey mom, my tummy hurts. Can you please fix it, or at least listen to me?" Well took me long enough, but at least this turtle of a listener finally caught on.
Keeping my fingers crossed that this is the solution. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a crazy situation, and right before your trip! Glad Shiloh is feeling better, and I'm sure you won't want to try milk again for a while, but I really hope he is actually not allergic to it, because food allergies are a life-long pain in the neck. Lactose intolerance is a little easier to handle and more common. Hopefully doc can help you figure it out, but they are often this hit and miss with allergies. Poor Shiloh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so crazy - I'm glad you figured it out. I always wish that kids could just say "hey mom!" because that trial and error thing is maddening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Rachael...I sure hope he ISN'T allergic to milk, but IF he is, what a relief to finally KNOW and be able to do something about it. Good luck with the discovery trial & error process.

    ReplyDelete