-

-

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Don't worry, I am not turning this into another cooking blog

Israeli orange roasted chicken


So, I married a chef.
I know that this isn't news to most of you, but it is a necessary statement for this post. Again, I married a chef. He really is a great cook.
I am not too bad, but I am NOT a chef. Again, not news to most of you, but I'm not.
Well, I have a confession. I have never really made much of anything that is in the way of meat without Kenny's help. I have been married for six years.... to a chef.
I can brown hamburger. Sautee cut up chicken, but I am pretty limited to either a frying pan or a crock pot.
Most people have these nostalgic memories of their mother pulling a turkey out of the oven on Thanksgiving, or a ham on Easter, or roasted chicken or chuck roast for Sunday dinners. In reflecting on this, that is when I realized that if I don't do something about my using Kenny as a crutch in the kitchen, then all of my children's nostalgic meal memories, with the amazing memorable dinners that we ate and laughed around, will not include me doing much else besides tossing a salad or making a casserole here or there.
After much thought on this, I realized I was feeling a little incapable. I also realized that I wanted to be a part of those memories. Given, I married a chef. He will most likely be in most of their nostalgic food memories, if not all, but I would like to be in a couple of them, maybe along side said chef.
This is a very long intro, but I roasted a chicken all by myself for the first time on Sunday. I used an Israeli Orange Chicken recipe I found online. I also improvised a little, since I married a chef, and he taught me how. I added some maple and some honey and other various ingredients. It turned out really well. It was a bit stressful, but I have to admit, I feel a bit grown up. ( about time for a 27 year old mother who has been married for 6 years!)
Aren't you proud?

Well, I am. And that is why I took pictures. As promised, this is not going to turn into another blog about cooking adventures. Not that there is anything wrong with said blogs, but I don't need to be another one added to your list, and I kind of like being able to post about whatever I want to. It feels good to just throw into the world of blogs whatever's on my mind. And today it is about food that I made by myself, even though I am not a chef and my husband is.

4 comments:

  1. MMMM Yummy! Wish I could have had some. You are a good chef. You started cooking when you were pretty little and have always made great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks YUMMY! I am the chef around my house, but I have to admit I have never cooked a whole chicken yet. I need to add that to my repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.... Definitely a Sunday dinner kind of meal, because I like super quick during the week, but definitely doable.

      Delete