-

-

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Brothers.....

I have had a few moments in this pregnancy that have stood out to me.  These moments include Shiloh.  

Shiloh and I are grocery shopping.  I am about 27 weeks along at this point.  Shiloh is getting antsy and I have to take him out of the cart.  Shiloh starts sticking his knee into my protruding belly.
Ouch!
Before I can push his knee out of the way, Eli does it for me.  Then, Shiloh, feeling the small nudge, digs his knees in deeper, and Eli in return pushes right back.  I put Shiloh in the cart and hope this episode isn't an omen of things to come.  Fighting....

I am sitting on the floor trying to read Shiloh a book that he has brought me.  He gets distracted by my belly, as if he has noticed how different it is for the first time.  As he looks I recite to him what I recite to him all of the time, "Baby brother Eli is in mommy's tummy."  Then I pat my stomach softly.  I think he is a bit young to really understand, but, nonetheless, I say it anyway, just in case something penetrates.
Shiloh pats my stomach too and then says, "AAAAWWW!"  It makes my heart melt.  Kindness....

It is the end of the day.  My clothes are too tight on my belly and my belly itches.  I lower the maternity band on my pants, and lift my shirt a little over my belly.  I am just sitting in the front room of my house.  
Shiloh is playing on the floor with his trucks and Doggie.  Shiloh looks over.  He gets bug eyed.  I feel a little awkward so I pull my shirt down over the belly.  He walks over. He won 't stop trying to lift up my shirt to get a better look.  He is relentless about it.  Curiosity and Teasing.....

Last night, I am talking to Eli while I sit on the couch.  Shiloh is playing and reading.  He comes up to me and starts patting my belly.  I recite to him again, "Baby brother Eli is in mommy's tummy." and pat my tummy.  He looks at me a bit quizzically.  Then, he pats my belly like he has been doing for the past few weeks.
Shiloh then wants up into my lap.  I heave him up, trying not to get kneed or head butted in the belly. Shiloh leans over after being situated on my lap.  He hugs my belly.  Then he does something even sweeter.  He gives my belly kisses, with actually smoochy sounds, then he gives my belly an eskimo kiss, with his cute little nose.  Love.....

Sometimes I underestimate how much Shiloh understands about what is going on inside of me.  He is young. He doesn't have much of a vocabulary, but he clearly understands something.  It seems to me that even before little Eli is born, he and Shiloh have already become brothers.  They fight, they tease, they love and they are kind to one another.  It is crazy to think that in a few short weeks that they will be getting to know one another for real, but it seems that it will be an awesome thing to see them grow up together, even despite all of the fighting and teasing that I am sure will take place, considering some of it has already started.  Maybe there won't be a whole lot of getting to know each other.  They seem to already be acting like brothers.








1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet post. So sweet to hear about Shiloh's reactions. I am sure Shiloh has known his brother forever. You're such a good mom. Teaching Shiloh and helping him to understand the changes in his life. It will be fun to see their relationship develop. I can't wait to come and see you guys!

    ReplyDelete