-

-

Friday, March 30, 2012

Fire Alarms and Potato Salad

So, our fire alarm went off this morning at quarter to one...don't worry there was no fire. It was soooo bizarre and has left me thinking about it all day. It beeped three times, quite loudly, and then stopped. It scared the bejeebies out of me and Kenny! We both shot up out of bed immediately. Kenny was asking me what it was. I told him I thought it was the fire alarm. We walked around the house. There was no smoke and no fire. There was nothing out of the ordinary at all going on in the house. Shiloh was fine and was still sleeping in his room (LUCKILY! Not sure how he slept through that considering all of our fire alarms are connected to each other. So, when one goes, they all go). We tried for about 20 minutes before going back to bed to figure out what it was. We thought maybe it was the battery going out, but usually it makes a chirping noise and not the alarm sound when the batteries need to be replaced. I went back to bed, but I couldn't sleep for a while. I was kind of nervous that something was wrong. I was also thinking that it might go off again, and so I didn't want to be scared out of a deep sleep again. I finally fell asleep. Nothing happened. The alarm went right back to being the discreet little alarm it always was prior to that. I am glad there wasn't a fire or anything, believe me, but I am just bewildered as to what might have set it off. Maybe our fire alarms just thought that they needed to be noticed....

On to a happier note...potato salad...at least this is a happy note for this pregnant woman. I love it. It reminds me of spring and summer, mainly, because that is when my family ate it growing up. I have also been craving it these past few weeks, and I finally made some. YUMMY! Sometimes there is just nothing better than a big bowl of it, especially when I got to make it MY way (i.e. mayo not miracle whip, bread & butter and dill pickles, lots of eggs, etc. etc.)

I should have been posting lots of other things(like all of the fun pics from when my in laws were in town, coming soonish)besides the randomness of fire alarms and potato salad, but alas, this was what was on my mind toady, so I wrote it about it instead, even if it is kind of random.

5 comments:

  1. That is crazy about the alarm. Even just the chirp is enough to wake me up. Our neighbors' alarm went berserk recently. Found it in full-on alarm mode when they got home from work, but no sign of smoke or fire, probably full of dust though. I heard you are supposed to buy new smoke alarms every 10 years. I just got a new one cuz one of ours doesn't beep when I test it, even with a new battery. I probably should replace them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what to think. We just bought these when we bought the house! It must have been a fluke, because last night there was nothing. Maybe a power surge? Who knows?

      Delete
  2. Make sure your alarm isn't a co2 and smoke alarm detector combo. No co2 problems please! In Utah they are required. We just had our alarms changed to the combo ones. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on the potato salad... I've been craving anything with mayo in it all the time. Potato salad, macaroni salad, tuna salad, and egg salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this post proves that parenthood changes you. I remember multiple experiences as a child where our fire alarm would go off on the kids end of the hall. Well I was always the only one in the house that would hear it and be awake freaking out that everyone else in the house was going to die from the fire. I can't picture Kenny shooting out of bed immediately :) Too funny and I love that you guys have a mayo vs miracle whip "feud". Somehow I converted to miracle whip despite the deep indoctrination that mayo was an abomination and should be avoided at all cost.

    ReplyDelete