-

-

Saturday, March 16, 2013

A Pantry...Finally

 In my house in Provo, there was not a pantry.  There also was not a utility closet or a linen closet or anything besides the teeny tiny closets in the bedroom.  We did have an attic space, but it wasn't always a convenient storage spot for things that we used frequently but wanted hid out of sight.  We lived in that house for a little over 4 years.  I dealt with it okay, but I didn't have two children in that house either.  I had one... for the last six months of living in that house.  I swore up and down that the next house that we bought would have storage closets galore and for sure, at bare minimum, it would have a great kitchen pantry.

 Fast-forward to about a year and half ago.  We are looking for houses.  We decide on this one.  Guess what?  There wasn't a pantry.  There wasn't a coat closet or a linen closet.  There is a small utility closet, which is more than the Provo house had, but not much.  Granted, this house a huge master closet and 1500 square foot barn, but I am not going to store my towels in the outside barn, or my chips for that matter.


Kenny built a pantry.  He hasn't ever framed before.  He did a great job!  We still need to put on the door and the trim and to paint it the same as the rest of the kitchen, but I am so excited about this, that I don't even care it if isn't finished.  I have been using since the shelves were put in!  Here are some pics of the process.


Kenny's first framed wall.
  Both framed walls up.



Shiloh sweeping the floor.
First piece of drywall hung.
 Inspector Eli checking out daddy's handy work.
  Two walls up.
The shelving process.
Kenny having to literally lay in the shelves to screw some of the things in.  He wanted to use whole pieces of mdf cut to the shape of the pantry for the shelves to make it stronger.  Therefore, he had to get creative in the way he put it in.  He has a mathematical mind and had the process all figured out before he even began.  All I have to say to that is WOW.  I never would have been able to think that way.
 Here are the boys demonstrating how strong the shelves are and Kenny was also taking a much needed break from his hard work.
Tada!
Pics to come when the door is hung and the walls are painted.

I know that this is a bit of a photo dump, but I was really proud of Kenny and I was really excited to have this new pantry.  As you can tell by the pics, the children, for better or for worse, were very involved in "helping" mommy and daddy out.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! It came out so awesome! AND I love the pics with them laying on the shelves. So cute! Great job Kenny! You would NOT know that you had never done that before. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing. Where did Kenny learn to be so handy?? Love the pictures! I know you will LOVE having your pantry items so close by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow impressive K-Dogg! I can tell it is built well because it can even hold you! Really awesome. YAY enjoy the pantry Britt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool. That pantry will really be the best thing ever to arrive in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittani, having trouble posting a comment. Does this come out in the right place? The boys are so cute. That is an awesome play set. Lucky find! We are impressed with Kenny's carpentry! He didn't get it from Dad:)

    ReplyDelete