-

-

Friday, July 13, 2012

Where as yesterday=FAIL, today=SUCCESS


Going places with 2 kids is a task, and enormous task.

We had a doctors appt. yesterday, in the evening. We were just going to have both of the kiddos get their well-child check ups.
Kenny had a catering get moved to the evening yesterday... that meant that I was going to Columbia by myself.

This was to be my first outing with both kids By. My. Self.

I tried to amp myself up for this. "I can do this" I would repeat to myself. "Eli is going to sleep and be content in the car."


YESTERDAY:

We get into the car. Shiloh starts whining. It is grating my nerves. Eli starts whining. I hit construction. I am running late now. Eli is screaming. I pull up to the doctor's "office". It is an old house with wooden stairs. I get the diaper bag out of the car and half of its contents fall on the ground. I grab the stuff and put it into the bag. I grab the carseat with screaming babe inside. I unbuckle the grumpy 1 year old and hold on to his hand. I drag him across the parking lot as I hoisted everything with me. Next come the stairs. Trying to quickly get all of my stuff and a one year old up a narrow wooden stairways quickly is nigh unto impossible.

We get into the office. Eli is hungry. Shiloh makes a mess with all of the toys. They both poop. Eli keeps fussing and spitting up. We leave. The office was still a mess and I was embarrassed, but my hands were full. The dragging back to the car was much like the dragging to the office.

Eli is all ramped up. He won't calm down. He won't take the binky. Shiloh is yelling over him, "cying! Cying! Car! Beebee! Cying! Wahhhhhh Wahh!" Imitating the timbre of Eli's cry exactly and then repeating the phrases over again. I pull over. Try to get Eli to take the binky. No dice. We drive for 20 minutes. Eli is losing his voice from screaming so much. I pull off of the highway onto a dirt road. Take him out of the carseat. I bounce him up and down. Meanwhile, Shiloh is now screaming in the car saying "OUT! OUT! OUT! " Eli calms down. He falls asleep. We continue to drive in silence for 10 minutes. About 5 minutes before we get home, Eli starts it all again. and so does Shiloh.

I get home and get the stuff out of the car. Shiloh starts playing. Eli starts nursing. I start bawling.

TODAY:

I get in the car to go to a friends house in Fulton. I load everything in the car. Shiloh sings and talks to himself and drinks his milk. Eli falls asleep. We arrive 45 minutes later. Eli stays asleep for 3 hours. Shiloh plays. We eat lunch. Shiloh plays. Eli nurses. Eli smiles. Shiloh gets sleepy. We get in the car. Eli falls asleep. Shiloh falls asleep. I listen to a book on tape. I get home. Shiloh stays asleep and is now in his bed. Eli stays asleep and is still in the car seat. I blog and feel more empowered than drained.

I am not sure the difference between today and yesterday, but I sure as heck know that I would much rather have outings go like today.....

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm so glad that today was better! Maybe they had to try one nightmare trip, and now they know they will be happier if they do it right! I'm amazed and proud of you for trying it again so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you figure out the difference you'll be RICH! (And I'll be teh first in line to buy the secret)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a difference in those two outings! Maybe the little guys have already decided they don't like doctor visits. :) Glad you survived.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could see myself having almost identical days to that. I have had them...so may times. I still don't know what makes the difference. It seems like the kids know when mom is having a rough day and they play off that. They sense your stress. ;) I'm so glad the next day went better for you! What a difference! It truly makes you appreciate the good, smooth, wonderful days.

    ReplyDelete