-

-

Saturday, April 6, 2013

My back window

Sometimes, when I look out my back window, I see the beautiful world and possibilities outside.  I take in the beauty all around and I appreciate it.

Sometimes, when I look out my back window, all I see are the dirty fingerprints obscuring the view.  I want to see past them, I want to find the beauty, but the fingerprints are all I can manage to make out.

Sometimes, when I look out my back window, I see a mesh of delightful fingerprints and trees and grass and beauty running together. I see the tiny hands behind the fingerprints pointing to the birds, or trying to pet the dog through window.  I guess in these moments, I experience the outside like the little people that are experiencing it as they look through the window.

We are often told throughout the scriptures to become more childlike.  I can think of a myriad of different ways to describe what that means, as I am sure all of you can as well.  Tonight, I think it means that I need to be more like the last "sometimes" paragraph.  It means that the fingerprints shouldn't obscure the view and that they don't need to be washed away in order to appreciate what God gives me, but that the fingerprints and the view are all part of the same horizon.  The fingerprints, mixed with God's creations, create an experience that is uniquely mine.

At times, I find it hard to sustain that perspective, but for tonight, it seems perfectly clear (or muddied with beautiful fingerprints, whichever way you want to look at it). Hopefully I can hang on to it for a little while this time.

4 comments:

  1. That's a lovely thought Brit. A great way to look at life. And you said it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittani, you really have a way with words! I remember back when those finger prints bothered me too. It just meant.....darn, I have to wash the sliding glass door again! Then I had such an opposite reaction 4 yrs ago when Heather's family moved. We were out of town, and Heather's family stayed in our house their last days so they could clean. When I came back from my trip, I was sitting, looking out the sliding door, and I saw those cute little Sadie and Colby prints on my glass. I started bawling...the end of an era...kids gone...hands growing up! Now, 4 years later, see how much they've grown, and how there are rarely any grandkids at Grannie's anymore. You're all invited to come put some cute little handprints on my door!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could keep a good perspective like that more of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautifully put! I wish I could keep those moments of understanding the real plan in the forefront of my mind. It was wonderful seeing you for an hour or so on Saturday!! You are looking great and as always I love talking with you!

    ReplyDelete